Anna is located on State Highway 5, Farm Road 455, and U.S. Highway 75 eleven miles northeast of McKinney in north central Collin County. Although Collin McKinney settled within a few miles of the future townsite in 1846, John L. Greer, who arrived in 1867, is credited with building the first home and store in the new community. The Houston and Texas Central Railway, at that time built between Dallas and Denison, passed through the area in 1873. By the time Anna was platted in 1883, it had a population of twenty, two stores, a steam gristmill, and a Baptist church. A post office also opened in that year. By 1890 the town had a population of 100 to 200. Anna was incorporated in 1913, with Matt McAllister as first mayor.
Local historian Chester A. Howell compiled a brief history of Anna for inclusion in a book that was given to those who attended the Anna school homecoming on October 19, 1985. A one page “errata” to correct some minor errors was added in 1989. Mr. Howell’s history, A Town Named Anna, is one of the most authoritative and complete descriptions of the history of the community.
The Anna Independent School District is located in a fast-growing area which covers 63 square miles in the northeast corner of Collin County. The school district consists of two elementary schools, one middle school, one high school and athletic facilities and is currently responsible for the education of approximately 2200 students. The district’s motto is “Achieving Excellence Together”.
AISD is fully accredited by the Texas Education Agency and continually strives to serve on the cutting edge of providing well-defined academic curriculum for students. The school district received an “Academically Acceptable” rating for the 2009 – 2010 school year.
(Source: Anna Independent School District)